Thursday, January 24, 2013

Liberty Leading the People


Though I don't know much about the French Revolution, I realize that it was a crucial period in history that has shaped much of how France functions to this day--much like America's Revolutionary and Civil Wars. The funny thing is, when I saw this painting yesterday I didn't think bloody battles, the beheading of Kind Louis XVI, or an overthrow of Government. I thought of Coldplay. This one of my most favorite bands and seeing one of their album covers in my art history class of all places was pretty awesome. 
I knew that many of their songs were inspired by the French Revolution (i.e. Viva la Vida, Cemeteries of London, etc.) but learning about "Liberty Leading the People" has given me a new appreciation for how far art (and the history that goes with it) can branch out. 
This painting (or in my mind album cover) makes me think of music. Music in general unleashes the memories of when and where I listened to a particular song as well as the experiences that went with it. So instead of thinking of gory scenes of war and high treason as Eugene Delacroix probably intended, I see my own memories. I'm in the car listening to "Speed of Sound" with my brother who is currently attending medical school in India. I'm just beginning high school, totally high on the song "Viva la Vida." I'm driving home from an amazing football game on a chilly night, listening to "Fix You." There are SO many more examples...talk about nostalgia! 
It's interesting how different art can be to people...I'm sure nobody expected what I was about to type but oh well. I'm a science major so when I get a rare moment to be subjective I'm totally jumping on it!

P.S. I'll figure out how to indent on this thing eventually...






No comments:

Post a Comment