Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Prodigal Son and His Father by George Gray Barnard (1904)

It is a very peaceful biblical story projected as a sculpture, but naked, why?



Well, it is not easy to understand the artist’s intention with the nudity solely by looking, but it is understood that we are dealing with biblical typology, which in Greek is Typos = form or design and logos= word. It is a Jewish imagery interpreted with Christian doctrine for the understanding of Christ, the Church, and salvation in a pre-interpreted content in the Old Testament models. It is people and events of the old testament seen as prophetic role model of what would happen in the church’s life an history (Like for example: the New Testament).

As far away as I want to go away from the biblical interpretation, I find myself writing about it over and over again, so it must have a great emphasis. The father lost his son to find out that he discovered the return of his son, which takes me to the span of mercy and forgiveness. I hope I do not step over any toes, but I am solely trying to interpret this sculpture, but as I understand it seems like the forgiver is the father or a resemblance of God’s unlimited mercy. The jealous big brother is the one that is believes he can buy his father’s love by duties, but it an elegant example of how some families work even today.

Everybody must have heard about the intensity of how parents will favor some of their kids over some other kids they have, and that is the implication I am leaning against. It is not understood that God forgives for purposes of new starts, but I must say that it can be confusing or more deterrent.

I say deterrent, because it is not to be known how the big brother will act in such a situation, but going back to the artistic formulation of this sculpture; I believe it is made with deep deterrence for the good son, whereas it implies free boundaries for learning for the prodigal son. It is deterrent for the good son, because the sculpture is made where both the father and the prodigal son are completely naked.

I believe that the artist’s purpose was to show the great intimacy breaking the social norms and bringing up non-judgmental feelings to the surface.

On the other hand, there are a lot of different artists that has created/re-created similar scenes. Here are some examples:
The Prodigal Son in the Arms of His Father by Gustave Dore
The Retun of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt
The Prodigal Son by Leonard Baskin


Please see the links for more information…





No comments:

Post a Comment