Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte

Through its architecture, painting, sculpture and landscape, Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte is a complete representation of French baroque. The head designers of the Chateau later on also collaborated on the design of the Palace of Versailles.  Achitect, Louis Le Vau and interior and landscape designers Charles Le Brun and Andre Le Notre. The patron, Nicholas Fouquet purchased the estate in 1641. It is located southeast of Paris, France.

 The Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte is organized on a longitudinal axis, making the gardens seem as if they disappear. The raised terraces on both sides of the courtyard represent the old winged-chateau tradition. The building is composed of cream-colored limestone, which creates a dramatic contrast as it rises over the murky moat. The court facade has curved walls at the center of the building can be related to many Roman Baroque buildings. The court façade is much different than the garden facing façade. The garden facade has an ovular shape in the center of the façade a curved dome greatly contrasts the high pitched roofs that flank either side

A visitor would enter through the vestibule, and pushed into the oval salon a l italienne which is a vaulted two story void. Here you would normally find receptions, grand dinners, and other social events. One of the most famous parties in history was at this site. Louis XIV, age 23, visited this site in 1661 where they enjoyed an extravagant meal, a theatrical performance and to top it all of there were fireworks at midnight. 

Baroque and Rococo Art and Architecture, by Robert Neuman

No comments:

Post a Comment