The actualy name of the pavillion is, Palazzina di caccia of Stupinigi, which was built as a royal hunting lodge in the early 18th century in the Rococo style. It is located in Stupinigi, a suburb of the town of Nichelino, six miles southwest of Turin.
It is one of the Residences of the Royal House of Savoy in northern Italy. The palace was designed by the architect Filippo Juvarra to be used as a hunting lodge for Victor Amadeus II, King of Sardinia. Works started in 1729 and two years later, the first formal hunt took place.
The original purpose of the hunting lodge is symbolized by the bronze stag perched at the apex of the stepped roof of its central dome. Also the numerous hounds' heads that decorate the vases on the roofline symbolize the purpose of the hunting lodge. The building has a saltire plan: four angled wings project from the oval-shaped main hall. Stupinigi was used for celebrations and dynastic weddings by members of the House of Savoy. In 1773, Maria Teresa, Princess of Savoy, married Charles Philippe, Count of Artois, brother of Louis XVI and the future Charles X of France.