Monday, March 25, 2013

Jackson Pollock “Number 1”

Jackson Pollock “Number 1”
 

I love this piece. For one, Pollock was very important in the abstract movement, which this painting shows very clearly, which has always intrigued me. And for another, he was known for his method of “drip painting,” which I love because when I did my portfolio in High School I used drips in every one of my pieces to draw the together. I love that I can relate to this artist with my art.
I also am very intrigued by this piece because it has something that I desire. Something I think everyone feels when they look at this painting. Sometime everyone longs for. Freedom. This is a clear painting of things that cant be done, but were. The abstract movement was one of freedom. IT was things people longed for but didn’t do them. Globs of paint, pools of color one on top of another, and it was all free. It was all thrown onto a canvas, and that is why it is art.
One very important influence on Pollock’s work was another artist, Lee Krasner, which was also his wife. She, herself, was an abstract painter and contributed to the movement and with 2 artists under one roof, it is clear that they had influence on one another’s artwork. One of her pieces that could have very much influenced him was called, “Night Creatures.” It is a painting with swirls of paint, covering the whole canvas with a freedom of the brush strokes from one corner to the next. Although they had different styles, there paintings resemble one another in this move into abstract art.

The Song, “Buttons & Bows,” by Dinah Shore, was also produced during the same year as this painting. It may give a good effect if it were played while this painting was showed, it is about love but it, to me, is also about freedom. It’s about following your heart and going where it tells you with who it tells you to go with. To me, abstract art is just like these kinds of songs, letting yourself go the places that deep in your heart you want to go. And taking the leap to do what you want and let yourself be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment