Sunday, April 21, 2013

Damien Hirst, For the Love of God 2007 Platinum, 8,601 diamonds and human teeth 6 3/4” x 5 x 7 1/2”


Damien Hirst, For the Love of God 2007 Platinum, 8,601 diamonds and human teeth 6 3/4” x 5 x 7 1/2”

I love this piece. Art that is 3D always attract me, because so many things were used than just paint and paper. This was a well thought out piece. They covered a skull with diamonds, with real human teeth. It makes me think about what was going on in the head of this artist, what the meaning was behind this piece. Maybe it was showing beauty through defeat; the beauty of the diamonds through the death of the skull. I so much like this piece because in high school I did a piece just like this one. We had a skull we had to decorate with something for Halloween. I decided to glue diamonds all over my skull and when I saw this I loved it. When you make something beautiful out of something ugly, that is true art to me.
This was more modern, since it was in 2007. Justin Timberlake came out with the song “Summer Love” came out then. I just love that this was the same time as this piece was made, it seems fitting. New ideas and things and crazy new music with this new diamond skull.

No comments:

Post a Comment