Sunday, April 21, 2013

Damien Hirst, The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living (1991)


Damien Hirst, The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living (1991) tiger shark, glass, steel, formaldehyde 83 7/8” x 204” x 83 7/8”
 
This blows my mind. Literally is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. The way they can preserve a whole entire animal is amazing to me! The substance they have these animals in is so strong they could not even be in the same room as it without a protective suit on. But how they maintain it from decomposing is so crazy. To me, this is a great concept. This is God’s art. His creation, nature, true art, displayed up close for all to see, an angle we may never get to see otherwise. Who gets to see a shark this close without their lives in danger?!
 
On an art trip I had in high school we saw another piece by Hirt, the piece of the cow shot with arrows. Seeing this piece in person up close was another feeling in and of itself. It was amazing, breathtaking. I had so many questions to ask. It was true art to me, because it was recognizing the true art of this world and displaying it for all to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment