Monday, March 18, 2013

Otto Mueller Bathing Women


Otto Mueller Bathing Women
Painting nude was still so common but Mueller showed it in a different way. I like the different ways artists paint the naked body. This one showed these woman bathing in his own way. Taking this everyday art that was so common in that time and showing these woman in his own way. I also love that Mueller used crayon on paper. He was using such a common, mass produced product and elevating it tot the status of art that he made. This is so interesting and important to me, using something ordinary and making it extraordinary. I just want to compare this art piece to his other one, “Landscape with Yellow nudes.” I think here he focused more on the landscape and the culture that these people might have. They seem to be playing in the water, rather than bathing, although I do not know for sure. The brush strokes on the nudes is very simple but the shading and color draws your attention here. It is also just as much about the landscape rather than just the nudes, where in his “Bathing Women” piece it is very focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment