The Immaculate Conception Cathedral of Pondicherry and Cuddalore was consecrated in 1791. It is also known as "Samba Kovil" which can be translated in a corrupted form as "Saint Paul's Kovil". "Kovil" means church so this church is being attributed to Saint Paul.
The church was demolished 3 separate times, first in 1693 by the Dutch, then again around 1730, and in 1761 by the British. Each of the times, the church was built again in the same location. It was originally established by the Jesuit Fathers who came to the French colony of Pondicherry in 1689.
Louis XIV, King of France at the time was the patron for the erection of the first church before it was demolished by the Dutch.