Monday, April 29, 2013

Bird’s Nest Olympic Stadium (2008)


Bird’s Nest Olympic Stadium (2008)

When I first saw this structure I had no clue what it was but after I read the name of it and looked at other pictures I was astonished that this was an Olympic Stadium. Who would have thought to make a stadium into art? Such a huge structure into and architectural dream. I love this, to me it look like a big ball of rubber bands, but according to its name, “Bird’s Nest”, was more of what the artist was going for and I can totally see that too.
Jerin Josey’s poem in 2008 is amazing. It may or may not fit with this piece but it would be great to see a different thing going on in the world at this time. “My Opera” was about blacks and whites. White people turn all kinds of different colors while black people are always black. Then at the end he says, “And you are calling me colored?” I absolutely love this. Even though racism isn’t as big of an issue as it was in the old days it is still very much around and I think it ties into the Olympics very well. In the Olympics the whole world comes together to compete, to have the games. Color doesn’t matter, race doesn’t matter, all cultures and countries meet in this one piece of art and are only different based on the scores the judges hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment